Maintaining your home is not always the same as improving your home. Although, it is true that improving your home can frequently mean that some repairs were needed in the first place. So, here we are complete home maintenance.
First things first: You’ll need to check your toolbox. It’s possible some teen (or adult, for that matter) likely ‘borrowed’ one or more critical tools and then inconveniently dropped them into a black hole. Do your tool inventory now.
The big box stores will have a replacement, so do your part to fund inflation and replace what you’ll need. No screaming allowed.
Your home, both inside and out, will need maintenance. And you’re in charge, right? So, let’s save some serious dollars and get right to it.
Below, you’ll find the best online resources for almost every category of home maintenance that you likely can tackle yourself. Les Go!
Essential Home Maintenance Tools
You need the right tools to be able to do work at home and around the house. The first thing you need to do is make sure you have good tools at home.
- The Best Tools for Your Home Tool Kit
- Must-Have Tools for Homeowners
- The 50 Tools Everyone Should Own
- 20 Essential Tools You Should Have at Home
Home Maintenance Checklists
Not everything in your house needs to be checked every month. To keep your home healthy, you only need to do home maintenance tasks twice a year.
- The Annual Home Maintenance Checklist
- The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist for Every Season
- The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist
- Yearly Home Maintenance Schedule (PDF)
Vital Home Maintenance Tasks
Any skills you learn on your own are valuable and may save you money. There’s also a good chance that learning how to maintain a house will help you take care of a future home.
- 10 Vital Home Maintenance Tasks You’ll Regret If You Forget
- Home Maintenance Tasks You Should Never Forget
- 30 Basic Home Maintenance Tips to Take Care of the Little Things That Add Up
- 18 Critical Home Maintenance Tasks
Inside Your Home
There are a lot of things you need to do to keep your house in good shape. If you want to live in comfort in your house, it is important to keep it in good repair.
- Maintenance Inside the Home
- 40 Common Home Repairs You Can Fix Yourself
- 100 Home Repairs You Don’t Need to Call a Pro For
- 5 Home Repairs You Really Should Know How to Do Yourself
Outside Your Home
The outside of your house should look nice and be inviting, not always in need of repairs. By taking care of your home the right way, you’ll be able to enjoy it for many years to come.
- Maintenance Outside the Home
- 40 Important Exterior Home Maintenance Tasks
- 10 Maintenance Tips for the Outside of the Home
- How to Spring Clean the Outside of Your Home
Home Plumbing Maintenance
A plumbing system that works well and is easy to use gives you clean, fresh water right from the faucet and warm water to keep your family clean and healthy.
- 8 Useful Plumbing Maintenance Tips
- Caring for Your Plumbing System
- 8 Preventative Plumbing Maintenance Tips You Should Know
- Helpful Plumbing Maintenance Tips for Homeowners
HVAC Maintenance for Homeowners
Changing the air filter often is one of the most important things you can do to take care of your HVAC system. Depending on the kind of air filter you have, you may need to change it every season.
- The Homeowner’s Guide to HVAC Maintenance
- 11 HVAC Maintenance Tips for Homeowners
- 6 Important HVAC Maintenance Tips for Homeowners
- The Ultimate HVAC Maintenance Checklist for Homeowners
Electrical System Maintenance for Homeowners
A homeowner can usually make small repairs to their home’s electricity. This keeps your electrical system running well and gives you peace of mind about your home’s safety.
- 4 Steps for Proper Electrical Maintenance
- How to Perform Electrical Maintenance
- How Your Home’s Electrical System Works
- Why Electrical Preventive Maintenance Is Important
Home Maintenance Costs
There are things you must do when you own a home. Home maintenance is important to make sure that key parts of a house last longer and that a home is a safe and pleasant place to live.
- How Much Should You Budget for Home Maintenance?
- Rule of Thumb: How Much to Budget for Home Maintenance
- Why You Need to Adjust Your Monthly Budget for Home Maintenance
- How Much to Budget for Home Maintenance
Home Maintenance How-to Books
For people who are new to home maintenance, these books give step-by-step instructions for basic repairs and maintenance. They do not assume that the reader already knows much about the subject.
- Home Maintenance For Dummies
- Home Owners Manual: Advice on Maintaining Your Home
- Best Sellers in Do-It-Yourself Home Improvement
- Renovation 5th Edition: Completely Revised and Updated
Home Improvement Videos
There are a lot of interesting project walkthroughs and home improvement guides in online video libraries. They talk about everything from how to fix a toilet to how to design a room.
- The Top 10 Home Improvement YouTube Channels
- 12 Best Home Improvement YouTube Channels
- Dad, how do I?
Preparing Your Home for Storms
You can get your house ready for a storm, which will help you stay safe and reduce the chance of damage. Here are some of the best things you can do to get your home ready for a storm or just to keep it in good shape before storm season.
- How to Prepare Your Home for a Storm
- Preparing for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
- How to Prepare Your Home for a Storm
- How to Storm Proof Your Home
- Maintenance Management at Home
- Maintenance Management and the Internet of Things
- Awesome Home Improvement Advice
- How to Prepare Your Home for a Natural Disaster
- The Best First-Time Home Buying Guide
- About Us